Subject: RE: Re:Quit Your Day Job (used to be don't)
From: Ace Miles <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 01:02:39 -0500

>   I've been following this thread from when it started and have a fairly 
>simple question.  There is a lot of talk about pay cuts, going from one job 
>into computer animation as a full-time job rather than a hobby.  I was 
>wondering what kind of salary someone (like myself) who is planning on going 
>straight out of college into animation (hopefully this is possible), will be 
>looking at.  I guess all the talk of taking huge pay cuts for going into 
>animation, is starting to worry me.  Because if someone with a lot of 
>job-experience is takeing huge cuts, where am I going to start off at.  
>  T.L.

I know you said it was a simple question...sorry in advance...but it's not a
simple answer ;)

If you've been following this closely then you probably know it all relates
back to the same old answer... It depends on how good you are in the field
you are trying to enter.

If you have no experience in the field and you're skill level is only
moderate, you'll probably start pretty low down the ladder. Most businesses
count some of your years in school as experience, assuming that you studied
a skill they can utilize.

If your skills are great then they may start you at higher level and as you
gain experience there are usually opportunities for rapid advancement.

And of course if you've got experience and you're talented you're probably
not reading this at home. You're more than likley busting your butt on some
deadline.

Most of the people asking about pay cuts seem to have lots of experience and
expertise, just in other fields. It's kind of like an animator deciding that
he would really rather be a lawyer. Maybe he's read alot of books on the law...
Hmmm? I wonder if he'd have to take a pay cut? Probably for a little while. ;o)

I think everybody out there will have it a little easier getting into
animation. And yeah, it might mean a decrease in your wages for a while.
BUT YOU'LL BE AN ANIMATOR! 
If it's what you love, it's probably worth it.

Good luck to everyone crankin out those demo reels.

-Ace

     -------------------------------------------------------------     
	Ace Miles * Senior Animator * Time Warner Interactive
	
	   [email-masked] (work)  or   [email-masked] (home)
           408-473-9492                     408-446-4808